Keeping Up Appearances

randomly commenting on what really goes on in my mind

Thursday, October 12, 2006




God's Grandeur

The world is charged with the
grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from
shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the
ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not
reck his rod?
Generations now have trod, have
trod, have trod;
And all is seared with trade;
bleared, smeared with toil;
And wear's man's smudge and
shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being
shod.

And for all this, nature is never
spent;
There lives the dearest freshness
deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink
eastward springs-
Because the Holy Ghost over the
bent
World broods with warm breast and
with ah! bright wings.
~Father Gerard Manly Hopkins

3 Comments:

  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful poem!
    Do you remember learning this with the Bascom's at one of the WYD meetings? I can hear Mr. Bascom's voice reciting the poem when I read it.

    Much love,
    Meg

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know, it's one of my favorites. I thought you all might want something other that just me gabbing to read. I also was thinking of Mr. Bascom when I wrote it. I love Mr. Bascom! And now I'm too old to go to Disc. group. sniff sniff.

    I AM writing you a letter. and you WILL get it. I must use absolutes to insure any kind of a chance at remebering to sent the silly thing. I am such a bad friend. ):

    Much love back,
    Kate~

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    HAHAHA - I know this ploy. This is the "I don't to time to write my own post so I'm putting on a poem." copout.

    But hey - it works, huh?

    Mr. Bascom had wanted another reunion meeting this Christmas. I should be able to make it this year (last year I was, you know, all busy getting proposed to . . . ). I'm looking forward to it . . . and I'm going to have to buy Matt and I our own copy of "A Child's Christmas in Wales", too. The Bascoms did me quite a favor by introducing me to that film. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home